Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Writing About the Prosperity Gospel

I picked up a Time magazine the other day simply because of the cover (I guess that's the idea, huh). It simply read..."Does God Want You to Be Rich?" It was an edition mostly devoted to the phenomenal growth of the Prosperity Gospel in the United States.

Having received my theological education at a major Charismatic University, I was intrigued and thumbed through it. The theme seemed to revolve around a reinterpretation of Jesus' words: "What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?" (Mark 8:36) The overwhelming sentiment I got from the Prosperity proponents was "sure, I don't want to forfeit my self, but why can't I have both?"

But I have mixed feelings about this Prosperity Gospel. On one hand, I despise its glorification of human effort and its almost animistic worldview; on the other hand, I appreciate its attempts to bring the attractive elements of Gospel into the center of Christianity (i.e. joy, blessing. and God's favor). On one side, these proponents dangerously overlook Scripture's insistence on God's Sovereignty, issues of stewardship, and the value of suffering; from another angle, they folks are all out to find happiness in the here and now (not so sinful of a pursuit if you ask me).

These thoughts led me to write an article that was recently published. Feel free to check it out here.

No comments: